Posted by dwoo | Posted in Foods, Organic Foods, organic recipes | Posted on 27-12-2011
To start making your own delicious healthy organic pizza from scratch, you need to make the dough first. You need: 3 cups of organic unbleached white or bread flour, salt, 2-2 and a half spoons of active-dry yeast and water.
1. Mix flour with salt.
2. In a separate bowl dissolve yeast in ¼ cup of warm water.
3. Mix flour and yeast together. Add ¼ to a ½ of warm water and make dough. If you accidentally put too much water, don’t panic. Just add some extra flour and it should be fine.
4. Put your dough in a warm place and let it rise. I usually slightly preheat my oven and let the dough rise there for an hour or two.
In the meantime, make sauce. For the sauce you need: basil, oregano, organic tomato paste, olive oil, onion, garlic, salt (sea salt) and water.
5. In a small to medium skillet cook chopped onion and garlic until slightly golden. Add 5 table spoons of organic tomato paste and ½ to a cup of water to make your sauce the consistency of ketchup. Add salt, basil and oregano. Cook together for 5 minutes. Set aside.
6. After your dough has risen (it should at least double in size), get it out, put it on a pizza pan and try forming pizza. I usually put a few drops of oil on the pan and form pizza with my hands.
7. When your pizza dough is nice and round (or square if you prefer), evenly spread sauce on it.
8. The rest is up to your fantasy and imagination. Of course, shredded cheese is a must to put on top, but other than that you can put whatever you find in the refrigerator. On our pizza we often put mushrooms, peppers, more garlic (it is never enough for me), tomatoes, black olives, ham and even bacon (Yes, there are uncured organic varieties out there).
9. Put pizza on the middle shelf of your oven and let it bake for 20-25 minutes at 400F.
10. Enjoy your healthy treat and make sure you don’t overeat, because it is always a problem in our house.